+91 70541 60914

Can NRIs file a complaint about property encroachment from abroad?

Can NRIs file a complaint about property encroachment from abroad?

Published At June 28, 2024


Yes, NRIs (Non-Resident Indians) can file a police complaint about property encroachment from abroad. There are several methods available to facilitate this process without requiring physical presence in India.

  • Online Police Complaints: Many state police departments in India offer online portals for filing complaints. The Delhi Police offers an online portal through the Integrated Complaint Management System (ICMS) for lodging complaints. NRIs can access the Delhi Police website and navigate to the relevant section to file their complaint electronically. This portal allows users to provide details of the encroachment, attach supporting documents, and track the status of their complaints​​.
  • Engaging an Attorney: NRIs can appoint a local attorney in India to handle their case. The attorney can file a police complaint on behalf of the NRI and represent them in all legal proceedings. This approach ensures that the legal process is followed correctly and that all necessary documents are submitted​​.
  • Criminal Complaints Under the Code of Criminal Procedure: NRIs can file a criminal complaint under Section 200 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973. This section allows a Judicial Magistrate to take cognizance of the complaint. Alternatively, under Section 156(3), a Magistrate can be requested to order an investigation into the alleged encroachment​.

These options provide a comprehensive framework for NRIs to address property encroachment issues from abroad, ensuring their rights are protected even when they are not physically present in India.

As per the rules of the Bar Council of India, we are not permitted to solicit work and advertise. The user acknowledges that there has been no advertisement and personal communication from Raizada Law Associates, any information obtained or material downloaded from this website is completely at the user’s volition and any transmission, receipt or use of this site would not create any lawyer-client relationship. In cases where the user has any legal issues, he/she in all cases must seek independent legal advice.